YOU CAN FIND THE TIME TO EXERCISE!
Have you ever caught yourself saying ‘I just don’t have enough time to train!’
Here’s why being busy, and HAVING LITTLE TIME TO TRAIN CAN BE YOUR BIGGEST ADVANTAGE on your fitness journey.
I can honestly say from a personal perspective, that what has kept my training on track over the years is the fact that I’m busy, and have very little time to train. This is a blessing to me, not a curse. It’s often said…if you want to get the job done, give it to a busy person…. and, it seems, the same applies to exercise. Heres why I believe a lack of time can act in your favour, from personal experience:-
- Because I have a very small window of opportunity to train, (between 30 and 40 minutes per day on average) I have no time to procrastinate, no time to think about it or talk myself out of it. I put my mind into neutral and go for it.
- I aim to get through as many sets as I can in a given time frame, whilst lifting as heavy as I can handle for 8 to 12 Reps. The combination of getting through a relatively high volume of work in short time, whilst lifting challenging weights with minimum rest time is awesome to put your body into an anabolic state. I will get through 20 to 26 sets per workout, experimenting with different set structures, circuits and exercise combinations.
- Longer sessions have the tendency to psych me out – the thought of pushing through an hour of intense exercise when I should be attending to a backlog of paper work and the like, I find quite stressful and I tend to become less focused. I must admit though I do enjoy the times when I have more time to exercise and zone out, like on weekends. It’s important to take time for yourself when you can.
- Time management:- I am forced to plan my training, to know exactly when and what I will be doing during the session (and how to plan my meals around it for that matter). In this way, my training time is optimised.
- My sessions are structured in such a way that I use minimum equipment in order to transition from one exercise to the next quickly. If necessary, with a bit of creativity, I can train anywhere with minimum or even no equipment.
Although I am busy, and love it, I also know that however hard I am working, there is someone working harder, with more commitments than me and still finding the time to exercise. The benefits of short bouts of intense exercise are well proven – don’t let a lack of time limit you, use it to your advantage!